The World Health Organization has confirmed that the recent Ebola outbreak in DR Congo has now reached to a level of global emergency.
The last Ebole outbreak came with a total mortality of 11,000 between 2014 and 2016Although, WHO has said the chances of the disease spreading beyond the border is not very high, the current outbreak has now been said to have gotten to a level where surrounding countries near DR Congo has to be at alert.The emergency was declared by WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Wednesday in Geneva, the WHO chief stated that the world now has to take notice of what was described as thesecond worse Ebola in history.
The current outbreak in DR Congo has so far killed nothing less than 1600 people, amounting to 64% of all who have been infected.
WHO has however decried short of fund available in managing the outbreak, stating that it is estimated that $98 million is needed to manage the spread of the disease.
According to the WHO, the disease has been around for close to a year now, precisely August, 2018 and a lot of efforts has been in place to put the spread at bay
Perhaps, one of thee major reasons why it looks difficult to control the spread of Ebola in the majorly affected regions of Ituri and North Kivu is the various attacks that has been taking place in the region on medical experts
A vaccine for the infection was developed as a result of the last outbreak, which is said to be 99% effective, given this situation, surprisingly, the disease is still spreading to areas where the vaccine has not reached and at a very rapid rate.